This is such a simple meal, but so full of flavor. It’s a summer favorite around here, but this time I switched up the ingredients a bit, and we loved it even more, so I had to share the recipe!
2 cups Basmati rice
Full fat coconut milk
2 lemons or 3 limes
2 large mangoes
1/4-1/2 small red onion,
1/2 bunch cilantro, de-stemmed & chopped
Cayenne or crushed red pepper or a dash of hot sauce
1 tsp honey
1-2 tsp Minced garlic
1 tsp Sea salt
1. Put 2 cups rinsed basmati rice in a rice cooker with 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk & 1&1/2 cups water to cook.
2. Meanwhile, mince 1-2 tsp garlic. Put chicken breasts in a bag & pound flat. Remove & rub with garlic, sprinkle with sea salt & black pepper. Sometimes i also include cumin–enough to barely coat the meat. Set aside while grill heats.
3. Dice the mangoes, cucumber, 1/4 red onion, and mix them together. Cut your lemons or limes in half & squeeze the juice onto the mix. Mix in the honey. Mix in 1-2 tsp hot sauce or 1/8 tsp cayenne or 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper. And finally mix in the chopped cilantro. Set aside so the flavors come together.
4. Grill at 450 for 4.5 minutes per side. Then remove from heat and keep warm in a toaster oven until the rice is ready. Slice into thin pieces before serving.
5. You can add 1/2-1 tbsp of coconut oil, and either 1-3 tbsp fresh green onion, or toasted green onion to the rice.
6. Plate & enjoy! When i make this–i always set aside a few plain cucumber slices, plain mango cubes & set them aside for the boys (4 & 2) since they don’t like the salsa mixed.